In May 1935 an historic meeting took place in a room above the Fruit and Vegetable Shop of Mr. James Day in Institute Road. From this beginning sprang Swanage Sailing Club. The Clubs aims then, as now, were to encourage the art of sailing for pleasure and competition. The man responsible for convening this meeting and the Clubs first Commodore was Dr G. W. S. de Jersey. The winner of the first race was Mr. L. Hardy, who is still a member. They raced traditional clinker built craft with no safety cover, no life jackets, no reserve bouyancy but with considerable seamanship.